When developing App Actions, you might encounter issues with your setup or with the App Actions test tool. This page describes some commonly encountered issues and their fixes.
- Error: "No App found to open URL" appears in a toast notification
- Check your fulfillment
actions.xmlto make sure it is configured correctly. If using App Links URLs, ensure you can trigger your URL manually using
ACTION_VIEWand the URL. If using intent-based URLs, ensure your Activity is correctly configured to start using the provided parameters.
- Error: "App isn't installed"
- This error may mean that the
AndroidManifest.xmlfile doesn't filter the deep link that you specified in your
actions.xml. Make sure you check this first before filing a bug.
- Error: "An entity set reference containing neither an entity set ID nor a URL filter was found." appears in Android Studio
This condition is caused by a known linter issue for the
<entity-set-reference>tag. You can safely ignore this message. As a workaround, you can disable lint check for this tag by adding the
tools:ignore="ValidActionsXml"attribute to it.
Here's an example of an entity set reference with a disabled lint check:
<entity-set-reference entitySetId="example" tools:ignore="ValidActionsXml" />
- Error: "Invalid location" for actions schema document when uploading APK
Your APK upload may fail if you use an obfuscation or optimization tool that affects resources for your release APK. Tools like ProGuard that avoid resource files do not cause this issue.
To resolve this issue, try disabling the tool for your app's
actions.xmlfile (for example, by using an allowlist).
- The "Accept" button on Play Terms of Service form is disabled.
- This may mean that the logged in user doesn't have the required access level to accept those terms. Make sure the first submission is done by the administrator of the Play Console profile.
App Actions test tool
- The App Actions test tool plugin cannot locate my actions.xml file.
- Ensure you have added the correct meta-data tag in your
- After changing the actions.xml file and clicking Update Preview, the preview is not updated.
- Make sure to save your
actions.xmlfile before updating the preview.
- The App Actions test tool plugin stopped working or is generating errors.
First, make sure you've updated Android Studio to the latest version. If you are getting a 403 error, you also might be running the plugin on a package where you don't have permissions to run on.
If the error still persists, please file a bug and send the following details to Google:
- Details of the error dialog
- Android Studio Logs. Go to Help > Show Log in Finder. This
shows you the location of the
idea.login your Finder. Search for "Submit Actions Request Body:" in the log file, and paste the server responses (there should be two results for actions).
- When invoking the App Action with the test plugin, the Assistant says, "Sorry, I couldn't find that."
- Depending on your setup, this response may appear for different reasons.
Try the following steps:
- Verify that you're logged in to both Android Studio and your test device with a Google account with access to the Play Console.
- Verify that you have device data syncing enabled.