Actions on Google is available for the Google Assistant on Android Go and KaiOS. You can reach your next billion users on these devices. Many of these users are new to both mobile and voice technology, so take the opportunity to show them the unique value of your products and services by creating localized, conversational experiences on these devices.
KaiOS is a light, feature-phone operating system that supports the Google Assistant. Users with this device invoke and use your Actions with only their voice.
Android Go brings the power of Android to entry-level smartphones with Assistant Go built-in. It’s the best of Android, built with new and reimagined apps, so even the most affordable Android smartphones are as sweet as can be.
Phone Line with Google Assistant
Phone Line with Google Assistant allows users in India to dial a toll-free number and speak to the Google Assistant. It supports Actions that don't require the following features:
- Visual responses
- Media playback
- A web browser
- Account Linking
This allows users to converse with your Action through a normal phone call, allowing you to promote your brand and service to users who might not have access to a smart device.
Whether you're building for KaiOS or Android Go, Actions on Google lets you extend the Google Assistant easily with out-of-the-box solutions or you can build your own experiences from the ground up.
If you need to build your own custom conversations, check out these resources for more information on how to start building Actions for voice-forward KaiOS devices and Android Go phones.
Once you get started, take these considerations into account when building:
- Refrain from complex conversational flows and mental overload for the user by keeping prompts short and to the point. To evaluate and refine your conversational design flows, consider writing sample dialogs.
- Remember that the user is on the go and try to help them achieve their task as quickly as possible. To learn how to craft natural and intuitive conversational flows, see the conversation design guide.
- Design for a wide variety of invocation phrases that might include differing language (for example, Hindi and English in the same invocation phrase).
- Invest in sound design, especially for voice-forward KaiOS devices. Use SSML and Google’s sound library.
- Don't design conversations that require keyboard input. Many feature phone users prefer voice whenever possible.
- Prepare for speech recognition errors and strongly utilize conversation repair.
- Use Actions on Google and Dialogflow analytics to see which parts of your conversation are actually working and what people are saying
When building Actions for users with feature or entry-level phones, you need to take into account a wide variety of languages and locales. Actions on Google lets you build Actions with localized responses, TTS voices assigned to separate locales, separate directory listings, and more. See our Localization documentation for more information.
The following limitations will apply to to Android GO and KaiOS devices:
Android Go and KaiOS devices:
Account linking and transactions aren't supported.
- Only Actions supporting Indian English and Hindi will be available.
actions.capability.SCREEN_OUTPUTsurface capability is not supported.
- Actions submitted to the Actions for Families program will not be available.
- When using the permissions helper intent, name information is not available.