These policies apply to all applications that use the Google Mirror API or Glass Development Kit (“GDK”). Such applications are referred to as “Glassware.”
A. General rules
- Information you may not collect, store, or share
- Don't collect, store, or share sensitive personal information such as credit card, bank account, driver's license, or Social Security numbers, except as necessary to collect payment.
- You may not publish or distribute Glassware outside of the official Google-hosted Google Mirror API Client and GDK application distribution channel, unless otherwise approved in writing by Google.
- Except as specifically licensed by Google, you may not use the Google Mirror API or GDK for any activities where the use or failure of the Google Mirror API or GDK could lead to death, personal injury, or environmental damage (such as the operation of nuclear facilities, air traffic control, or life support systems).
B. Personal information from the Google Mirror API or GDK
This section applies to users' personal information your Glassware gets by calling the Google Mirror API or GDK, such as images and photos shared from Glass.
- Using and sharing data from the Google Mirror API or GDK
- Don't use users' personal information for purposes beyond the limited and express purpose of your Glassware (including as it may reasonably evolve due to ongoing development), without getting specific opt-in consent from the user.
- Don't sell, rent, or otherwise provide a user's personal information to any third party without getting specific opt-in consent from the user. Opt-in consent isn't required to provide users' personal information to third parties, like infrastructure providers or customer service contractors, whose services are reasonably necessary to help you build or run your applications. You're responsible for how those third parties handle this information, and you must contractually require them to keep it confidential.
- You may not use user data from your Glassware for advertising purposes. You may not sell or transmit any user data received from your Glassware to a third-party ad network or service, data broker, or other advertising or marketing provider. For the avoidance of doubt, user data from the Glassware may not be used for Third-Party Ad Serving ("3PAS").
- Keeping up to date
- Don't use stale data. You can cache or store data you've obtained through the Google Mirror API or GDK, but to the extent reasonably possible within the context of your Glassware, use fresh data recently fetched from the Google Mirror API or GDK. If the fresh data reveals that content is gone (for instance, because a user deleted it), delete it and don't use your stale copy.
- Deletion rules
- Give users a reasonably convenient way to delete any of their
personal information you've obtained from the Google Mirror API or
- Don't show the user that their data has been deleted without actually deleting the data within a reasonable period of time.
- If you created an account for the user associated with their identity on Google (including internal accounts not explicitly exposed to the user) you must give the user a reasonably convenient way to delete that association.
- If a user deletes their account on your system, deletes the association between that account and their account on Google (“disconnects”), or deletes their Google account, you must delete all personal information you obtained from the Google API relating to them.
- As the only exceptions to the above, you may keep the following
- Information you're required by applicable law to retain.
- Information you're required to retain by a separate agreement with Google.
- Aggregated information that does not include any of the user's personally identifying information, and would not allow that information to be inferred.
- Give users a reasonably convenient way to delete any of their personal information you've obtained from the Google Mirror API or GDK.
C. What you can't do in your Glassware
- User experience
- Don't mislead your users about what your Glassware does, or trick them into using it.
- Don't include functionality that proxies, requests, or collects usernames, passwords, or other personal authentication information for Google Accounts.
- Don't mimic functionality or warnings on the user's computer system or when communicating with Google's servers.
- Don't induce users to violate Google's terms of service or other applicable Google policies.
- Don't use the camera or microphone to cross-reference and immediately present personal information identifying anyone other than the user, including use cases such as facial recognition and voice print. Glassware that do this will not be approved at this time.
- Don't disable or turn off the display when using the camera. The display must become active when taking a picture and stay active during a video recording as part of your application.
We take security very seriously: we can suspend your Glassware without notice if it appears to have a security or stability issue that could affect Google or its users.
- If you experience a security breach or misuse of information, you must notify Google.
- If you experience a breach exposing private user information, you must also notify your users.
- Industry-specific privacy regulations
- Glass is not intended for use in connection with applications and services that might be subject to industry-specific privacy regulations. Do not create Glassware that generate or transmit data that is subject to these regulations.
- Ads You may not serve or include any advertisements in your Glassware.
D. Content policies
- Sexually Explicit Material: We don't allow Glassware content that contains nudity, graphic sex acts, or sexually explicit material. Google has a zero-tolerance policy against child pornography. If we become aware of content with child pornography, we will report it to the appropriate authorities and delete the Google Accounts of those involved with the distribution.
- Violence and Bullying: Depictions of gratuitous violence are not allowed. Glassware should not contain materials that threaten, harass or bully other users.
- Hate Speech: We don't allow the promotion of hatred toward groups of people based on their race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, or sexual orientation/gender identity.
- Impersonation or Deceptive Behavior: Don't pretend to be someone else, and don't represent that your Glassware is authorized by or produced by another company or organization if that is not the case. Products they contain also must not mimic functionality or warnings from the operating system or other applications. Glassware must not have names or icons that appear confusingly similar to existing products or to Glassware supplied by Google. Developers must not divert users or provide links to any other site that mimics or passes itself off as another application or service. Glassware must not have names or icons that appear confusingly similar to existing products, or to apps supplied with the device (such as Camera, Gallery or Messaging).
- Personal and Confidential Information: We don't allow unauthorized publishing or disclosure of people's private and confidential information, such as credit card numbers, Social Security numbers, driver's and other license numbers, or any other information that is not publicly accessible.
- Intellectual Property: Don’t infringe on the intellectual property rights of others, (including patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, and other proprietary rights), or encourage or induce infringement of intellectual property rights. We will respond to clear notices of alleged copyright infringement. For more information or to file a DMCA request, please visit our copyright procedures.
- Illegal Activities: Keep it legal. Don't engage in unlawful activities on this product.
- Gambling: We don’t allow content or services that facilitate online gambling, including but not limited to, online casinos, sports betting and lotteries.
- Dangerous Products: Don't transmit viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses, malware, or any other items that may introduce security vulnerabilities to or harm user devices, applications, or personal data. We don't allow content that harms, interferes with the operation of, or accesses in an unauthorized manner, networks, servers, or other infrastructure. Glassware that collect information (such as the user's location or behavior) without the user's knowledge (spyware), malicious scripts and password phishing scams are also prohibited from the Glass Platform, as are Glassware that cause users to unknowingly download or install applications from outside sources.
E. Related policies
- Violations of these policies are violations of the Glass API Terms of Service and/or the GDK Terms of Service, and can result in the disablement or removal of your Glassware, being prohibited from providing future Glassware, or termination of your Google Account(s).
You may not charge end users any fees or collect any payments in order to download or access your Glassware, or in connection with virtual goods or functionality of your Glassware.
These policies may be revised from time to time without notice. Please check back here for any updates.