Google partners may provide structured menu data to Google through their Reserve with Google integration for use in the Menu section of a restaurant's placesheet on Google Maps Mobile (Android and iOS).
Menu data are ingested through your existing Reserve with Google integration using a capability called generic feeds Before you begin, take a few minutes to ensure that you have completed the account setup steps and read through Using the Generic feed dropbox for an overview of the generic feed upload process and an explanation on how to configure your account for generic feed uploads.
Creating and uploading menu feeds
When creating and uploading menu feeds, please keep the following in mind:
- Follow the spec described in menu feed.
- In the filesetdesciptor, set the
- Menu feeds should be uploaded to the generic SFTP drop box daily as full refreshes.
- Menu feed ingestion status can be found in the Feeds section of the partner portal.
Working with menu item options
Menu item options can be specified using the MenuItemOption proto. Menu item options are displayed as a flat list under the menu item. See the example below
Only mandatory menu item options are supported. A mandatory menu item option is one that the customer must choose when ordering. For example, when ordering a pizza, size is a mandatory option. Menu item options that are optional (i.e. "option to add Avocado") are not supported.
Since menu item options are displayed as a single, flat list partners with multiple sets of mandatory options for a single menu item (for example, a latte with size options and milk options) must decide how best to display those options in Google. Google recommends the following heuristics:
- If only one mandatory option set affects the price, prefer to include that option set in feeds.
- For all other cases, it is up to the partner to determine how best to represent the menu item options. Creating long lists of options for all possible combinations of options is not recommended.
When including menu item options under a menu item either:
- The menu item must have a price (for cases when the menu item options do not affect the price)
- The menu item options must have a price equal to the total price of the item with that option selected
but a menu item and its options cannot both have a price.