Google Pay is the fast, simple way to pay in millions of places – online, in stores, and more. It brings together everything you need at checkout and keeps your payment information safe in your Google Account until you're ready to pay. Google Pay also makes it easy to keep track of purchases, redeem loyalty points, and get personalized suggestions to help you save time and money.
Device tokenization in Google Pay gives card issuing financial institutions a prime opportunity to:
- Showcase your brand: Cardholders see your card art every time they use Google Pay.
- Provide a secure payment option: Google Pay locks devices and times out screens as needed to ensure secure payments. Google coordinates tokenization, security, and key management for you.
- Capture "top of wallet": Cardholders can set your card as their primary payment option.
- Share relevant messages: Connect directly with cardholders.
Tokens and cards-on-file
When a user adds their card to Google Pay, they get one or more of the following:
- Device token (DPANs)
- Card-on-file (PAN/FPAN, expiry, and cardholder name)
- Cloud token (tokenized version of a card-on-file)
Device tokens, cards on file, and cloud tokens are used in different scenarios. Device tokens are device bound and can be used for in-store NFC transactions and online transactions. Cards on file and cloud tokens are stored at the account level, rather than on the device, and can be used for peer-to-peer and online transactions. When tokenizing a card, the user's card information may be stored as a card on file and can potentially incur a small, temporary charge. This charge is refunded once the account has been verified. More information can be found on the Google charge support page
This documentation generally focuses on device tokens rather than cards on file or cloud tokens. For details on how to enable device tokenization, refer to the TSP integration section of this site.
The consumer support site maintains a list of countries where Google Pay has launched.
Supported Google Accounts
Google Pay works with for all types of Google accounts, including Gmail accounts, Google Accounts linked to other email addresses, and Google Workspace accounts.