Welcome back! Here's what's new.
Video version of this page
Highlight all nodes affected by CSS property
Hover over a CSS property that affects a node's box model, such as
highlight all nodes affected by that declaration.
Lighthouse v4 in the Audits panel
The new Tap targets are not sized appropriately audit checks that interactive elements like buttons and links are appropriately large and spaced apart on mobile devices.
The PWA category of a report now uses a badge scoring system.
WebSocket binary message viewer
To view the contents of a binary WebSocket message:
Open the Network panel. See Inspect Network Activity to learn the basics of analyzing network activity.
Click WS to filter out all resources that aren't WebSocket connections.
Click the Name of a WebSocket connection to inspect it.
Click the Messages tab.
Click one of the Binary Message entries to inspect it.
Use the dropdown menu at the bottom of the viewer to convert the message into Base64 or UTF-8. Click Copy to clipboard to copy the binary message to your clipboard.
Capture area screenshot in the Command Menu
Area screenshots let you capture a screenshot of a portion of the viewport. This feature has been around for a while, but the workflow for accessing it was quite hidden. Area screenshots are now available from the Command Menu.
Focus DevTools and then press Control+Shift+P or Command+Shift+P (Mac) to open the Command Menu.
area, select Capture area screenshots, then press Enter.
Drag your mouse over the section of the viewport that you want to screenshot.
Service worker filters in the Network panel
is:service-worker-intercepted in the Network panel filter text box
to view requests that were caused (
initiated) or potentially modified (
intercepted) by a service worker.
See Filter resources for more on filtering network logs.
Performance panel updates
Performance recordings now mark up long tasks and First Paint.
Check out Do less main thread work for an example of using the Performance panel to analyze page load performance.
Long tasks in Performance recordings
Performance recordings now show long tasks.
First Paint in the Timings section
The Timings section of a Performance recording now marks First Paint.
New DOM tutorial
Check out Get Started With Viewing And Changing The DOM for a hands-on tour of DOM-related features.
To discuss the new features and changes in this post, or anything else related to DevTools:
- File bug reports at Chromium Bugs.
- Discuss features and changes on the Mailing List. Please don't use the mailing list for support questions. Use Stack Overflow, instead.
- Get help on how to use DevTools on Stack Overflow. Please don't file bugs on Stack Overflow. Use Chromium Bugs, instead.
- Tweet us at @ChromeDevTools.
- File bugs on this doc in the Web Fundamentals repository.
If you're on Mac or Windows, consider using Chrome Canary as your default development browser. Canary gives you access to the latest DevTools features.
Discover other DevTools features
Below is a list of everything that's been covered in the What's New In DevTools series.
- Meaningful presets when autocompleting CSS functions
- Clear site data from the Command Menu
- View all IndexedDB databases
- View a resource's uncompressed size on hover
- Inline breakpoints in the Breakpoints pane
- IndexedDB and Cache resource counts
- Setting for disabling the detailed Inspect tooltip
- Setting for toggling tab indentation in the Editor
- Highlight all nodes affected by CSS property
- Lighthouse v4 in the Audits panel
- WebSocket binary message viewer
- Capture area screenshot in the Command Menu
- Service worker filters in the Network panel
- Performance panel updates
- Long tasks in Performance panel recordings
- First Paint in the Timing section
- Bonus tip: Shortcut for viewing RGB and HSL color codes (video)
- Detailed tooltips in Inspect Mode
- Export code coverage data
- Navigate the Console with a keyboard
- AAA contrast ratio line in the Color Picker
- Save custom geolocation overrides
- Code folding
- Frames tab renamed to Messages tab
- Bonus tip: Network panel filtering by property (video)
- Visualize performance metrics in the Performance panel
- Highlight text nodes in the DOM Tree
- Copy the JS path to a DOM node
- Audits panel updates, including a new audit that detects JS libraries and new keywords for accessing the Audits panel from the Command Menu
- Bonus tip: Use Device Mode to inspect media queries (video)
- Hover over a Live Expression result to highlight a DOM node
- Store DOM nodes as global variables
- Initiator and priority information now in HAR imports and exports
- Access the Command Menu from the Main Menu
- Picture-in-Picture breakpoints
- Bonus tip: Use
monitorEvents()to log a node's fired events in the Console (video)
- Live Expressions in the Console
- Highlight DOM nodes during Eager Evaluation
- Performance panel optimizations
- More reliable debugging
- Enable network throttling from the Command Menu
- Autocomplete Conditional Breakpoints
- Break on AudioContext events
- Debug Node.js apps with ndb
- Bonus tip: Measure real world user interactions with the User Timing API
- Eager Evaluation
- Argument hints
- Function autocompletion
- ES2017 keywords
- Lighthouse 3.0 in the Audits panel
- BigInt support
- Adding property paths to the Watch pane
- "Show timestamps" moved to Settings
- Bonus tip: Lesser-known Console methods (video)
- Search across all network headers
- CSS variable value previews
- Copy as fetch
- New audits, desktop configuration options, and viewing traces
- Stop infinite loops
- User Timing in the Performance tabs
- Network tab renamed to Page tab
- Dark theme updates
- Certificate transparency information in the Security panel
- Site isolation features in the Performance panel
- Bonus tip: Layers panel + Animations Inspector (video)
- Blackboxing in the Network panel
- Auto-adjust zooming in Device Mode
- Pretty-printing in the Preview and Response tabs
- Previewing HTML content in the Preview tab
- Local Overrides support for styles inside of HTML
- Bonus tip: Blackbox framework scripts to make Event Listener Breakpoints more useful
- Local Overrides
- New accessibility tools
- The Changes tab
- New SEO and performance audits
- Multiple recordings in the Performance panel
- Reliable code stepping with workers in async code
- Bonus tip: Automate DevTools actions with Puppeteer (video)
- Performance Monitor
- Console Sidebar
- Group similar Console messages
- Bonus tip: Toggle hover pseudo-class (video)
- Multi-client remote debugging support
- Workspaces 2.0
- 4 new audits
- Simulate push notifications with custom data
- Trigger background sync events with custom tags
- Bonus tip: Event listener breakpoints (video)
- Top-level await in the Console
- New screenshot workflows
- CSS Grid highlighting
- A new Console API for querying objects
- New Console filters
- HAR imports in the Network panel
- Previewable cache resources
- More predictable cache debugging
- Block-level code coverage
- Mobile device throttling simulation
- View storage usage
- View when a service worker cached responses
- Enable the FPS meter from the Command Menu
- Set mousewheel behavior to zoom or scroll
- Debugging support for ES6 modules
- New Audits panel
- 3rd-Party Badges
- A new gesture for Continue To Here
- Step into async
- More informative object previews in the Console
- More informative context selection in the Console
- Real-time updates in the Coverage tab
- Simpler network throttling options
- Async stacks on by default
- CSS and JS code coverage
- Full-page screenshots
- Block requests
- Step over async await
- Unified Command Menu