As part of Google’s acquisition of Fitbit in 2019, Google has been working to migrate Legacy Fitbit Pay into the Google Pay ecosystem. The migration will happen in phases until Legacy Fitbit Pay is fully transitioned and deprecated in the future. Until then both services will be operating.
Currently, Google Pay and Legacy Fitbit Pay are operating under the entity Google Inc with the same Wallet ID. In addition to Host Card Emulation (HCE), Google has launched support for Secure Element (SE) tokenization to support Fitbit and other wearable devices.
Issuers should note that Secure Element tokenizations will have a different Token Requestor ID (TRID) than Host Card Emulation. Mastercard has created a new TRID for SE tokenizations, where Visa will reuse the previous Fitbit TRID for SE tokenizations. Please refer to the Network Bulletins sent by each Network and reach out to them for any questions.
- Visa Article ID: AI12091 sent June 2nd, 2022
- Mastercard Article ID: AN 5976 sent June 1st, 2022
Lastly, in support of the legacy migration transition, all issuers globally are required to support all available TRIDs as of the update to Google Pay Standard Issuer Agreement terms released in May 2023. If there are additional questions regarding the migration, review the FAQ below.
Why should an issuer integrate with Google Pay on Fitbit?
- As of November 2022, all new Fitbit devices that support NFC payments are using Google Pay on Fitbit instead of Fitbit Pay.
- Cardholders have a better experience when there is consistent issuer parity across devices regardless of form factor. It is a confusing experience if a user can add a card to their mobile Wallet, but not to their Fitbit Wallet.
What is the difference between Legacy Fitbit Pay and Google Pay on Fitbit?
- Fitbit Pay is the legacy Fitbit wallet. Although the aim is to switch fully to Google Pay on Fitbit, Legacy Fitbit Pay is still available on previous Fitbit devices (list of devices below).
- Google Pay on Fitbit is the extension of Google Pay wallet to Secure Element technology, under Google Pay Wallet ID and a different Token Requestor ID (TRID) for Google Pay SE vs Google Pay HCE.
Which Fitbit devices support Legacy Fitbit Pay?
- Ionic, Charge 3 (only Charge 3 SE in the US), Charge 4, Charge 5, Versa (only Versa SE in the US), Versa 2, Versa 3
- Versa 4 and Sense 2 that have not been updated with new firmware will still see Fitbit Pay only.
- In Japan and Taiwan only, Versa 4 and Sense 2 support Fitbit Pay only.
Which Fitbit devices support Google Pay?
- Versa 4 and the Sense 2 (all markets except Japan and Taiwan)
- All upcoming Fitbit devices
Integration and Testing
How does an issuer integrate with Legacy Fitbit Pay?
- All integration projects are managed by TSPs Visa and Mastercard.
- We are not actively onboarding new issuers onto Legacy Fitbit Pay.
How does an issuer integrate with Google Pay on Fitbit?
- Issuers who support Google Pay have been auto enabled for support with Google Pay on Fitbit.
- Please contact your network if you have any questions around supporting Google Pay on Fitbit.
How does tokenization work for Legacy Fitbit Pay and Google Pay on Fitbit?
- Fitbit devices use Secure Element tokenization technology.
- Secure Element is an embedded hardware chip which provides cryptographically secure storage and computing environment on a mobile or a wearable device. It can be used to enable various Wallet use cases, like tap-and-pay, transit, access badges, car keys, ID verification, etc.
- All Fitbit NFC devices are embedded with Secure Element chips.
- For more information please contact your TSP/Network
Which ID&V methods do Legacy Fitbit Pay and Google Pay on Fitbit support?
- SMS, E-mail, Call Center
Is Push provisioning available with Legacy Fitbit Pay or Google Pay on Fitbit?
- Push provisioning is not supported for Fitbit devices at this time. We are working on supporting this feature for Google Pay on Fitbit in 2024
What if an issuer wants to test Legacy Fitbit Pay within a test environment?
- We are not actively onboarding issuers onto Legacy Fitbit Pay. For any sandbox testing on new Google Pay on Fitbit, see below
What if an issuer wants to test Google Pay on Fitbit within a test environment?
- Issuers will need their own Fitbit devices, Google does not provide test devices.
- We are currently creating the process for issuers to signup to test in Fitbit sandbox, more can be provided when this process is ready
User Experience and Branding Guidelines
What is the user experience difference between Legacy Fitbit Pay and Google Pay on Fitbit?
- Both provisioning processes start from the Fitbit app.
- For Legacy Fitbit Pay the full provisioning process is done in the Fitbit app.
- For Google Pay on Fitbit, provisioning starts from the Fitbit app, requires login with a Google account and finishes in a Google Wallet workflow.
- Payment experience is the same using tap & pay feature with the Fitbit devices
- Transactions history can be viewed in the Fitbit app in both cases.
I just added a card onto Google Wallet on Fitbit, why do I see emails/texts mentioning Fitbit Pay?
- For Visa, Legacy Fitbit Pay and Google Pay on Fitbit are using the same TRID. Since some issuers email/texts could use wallet names based on the TRID, it is possible that Legacy Fitbit Pay TRID is used for Google Pay on Fitbit end user communications.
How should I manage end user comms with Visa Legacy Fitbit Pay TRID which is the same as Google Pay SE TRID?
- Please reference “Fitbit Pay™ and/or Google Pay™ where applicable. (Example: Cardholder set up confirmation emails/notifications)
- We also suggest issuers should be neutral in end user comms (Example: Thanks for adding your IssuerXX card to your Fitbit Device. You're now able to make contactless payments with IssuerXX via your Fitbit).
What are Fitbit’s branding guidelines?
- Please see Fitbit Pay Branding guidelines in the Fitbit Pay folder in Fitbit Pulse, the Fitbit marketing asset portal (please follow the path: Asset Vault>Brand Assets>Fitbit Pay).
Who can I contact if I have a technical question or have a bug to report for Legacy Fitbit Pay or Google Pay on Fitbit?
What are Fitbit Pay T&Cs?
- Please see here
What are end user info pages on Fitbit Pay?