Note: You no longer need to link your developer account to a Google Cloud Console in order to access the Google Play Developer Reporting API.
Before you can start making API calls, you need to set up API access to your Google Play Developer Account. This involves changes in both the Google Play Console and Google Cloud Console. The following instructions explain the four steps needed to start using the Google Play Developer Reporting API:
- Create a Google Cloud project.
- Enable the Google Play Developer Reporting API for your Google Cloud project.
- Authorize an API key for the Google Play Developer Reporting API in your Google Cloud project.
- Set up a service account with appropriate Google Play Console permissions to access the Google Play Developer Reporting API.
Create a Google Cloud project
You can skip this step if you already have a Google Cloud project you want to use.
Setting up a Google Cloud project is required to use the Google Play Developer Reporting API. You can do it in Google Cloud Console.
For further information on Google Cloud projects, refer to Creating and managing projects.
Enable the API
To enable Google Play Developer Reporting API:
- Go to the Google Play Developer Reporting API page in Google Cloud Console.
- Click Enable.
Authorizing an API key
To use the API, you need an API key in your Google Cloud project that is authorized to use the Google Play Developer Reporting API. Set this up in the Google Cloud Console.
Configuring service accounts
Service accounts must be used in a secure environment, such as your server. The service account credentials need to be managed securely so they are not revealed to anyone that is not authorized to use the API.
Creating a service account
To create a new service account:
- In the Google Cloud Console go to Service Accounts page.
- Click Create service account and follow the steps.
To allow any of the service accounts access to the Google Play Console data for your apps, they have to be granted access.
- Go to the Users & Permissions page on the Google Play Console.
- Click Invite new users.
- Put an email address for your service account in the email address field and grant the necessary rights to perform actions. It is best to grant the service account the minimal set of permissions needed to call the desired API actions.
- Click on the Invite user button.
Once you complete these steps, you should be able to access the Google Play Developer Reporting API through the service account, using the appropriate API key.
To look up a particular resource type or method, see the Reference.