This page contains release notes for the Classroom API.
18 November 2019: New Share Button URL Parameters
- Set share tag attributes for course ID and material type when sharing content to Classroom.
2 April 2019: Topics in Classrooom
- Retrieve, create, edit, and delete Topics in Classroom - organize and retrieve content in Google Classroom.
7 August 2018: Push notifications for course work and student submissions
- Get real-time notifications of changes to course work and student submissions - now you can listen for new assignments being posted, students turning in their submissions, teachers grading submissions, and more
26 September 2017: Push notifications, announcements, and individualized posts
- Get real-time notifications of roster changes - instead of polling Classroom API endpoints for changes, you can use Google Cloud Pub/Sub to get roster updates for a class or a domain
- Create and update announcements - in addition to coursework, applications can now create and update announcements in the class stream
- Create and update individualized posts - applications now have the option to post announcements or coursework to individual students, instead of the whole class
1 August 2017: Transfer course ownership and submission history
- Update the primary owner of a course (ownerId) with admin credentials, or initiate an invitation for a teacher to become the course owner
- Access submission history for a student submission
19 June 2017: Schedule coursework, calendar, and verified teachers
Updates to the Classroom API
- Schedule coursework to post at a later date/time by setting the scheduledTime field of coursework
- Access the calendarId of a course
- Identify if a given user is a verified teacher
11 January 2017: Coursework updates
Updates to the coursework endpoints lets applications:
- Create and update questions
- Modify and delete coursework
- Add Drive items and YouTube videos to coursework and student submissions
17 August 2016: Guardians in the Classroom API
Google Classroom generates email summaries of student activities for guardians. The Classroom API has support for guardians. Developers can
- Invite individuals to become guardians
- Retrieve a student's invited and active guardians
Manage active guardians
G Suite for Education admins should confirm their Classroom Data access settings are correct.
The Classroom API is now available in Google Apps Script. Try out the QuickStart.
18 May 2016: Coursework added to the Classroom API
The Classroom API now includes coursework - the assignments, questions, student responses, and grades. See the Coursework guide to get started.
08 August 2015: Classroom API now generally available
The Classroom API is now available to all developers and G Suite for Education domains. You no longer need to request access to begin using the API.
- G Suite for Education admins should confirm their Classroom Data access settings are correct.
- The Classroom API is now available in Google Apps Script. Try out the QuickStart.
29 June 2015: Classroom API now available developer preview
The Classroom API is now available for developer preview. You can sign up now for early access and test accounts.
G Suite for Education admins who want to give users in their domain early access to the API can sign up for the domains whitelist. Developers can apply for early access to code with the API.
For the full announcement, see the Google for Education blog.