Linking a Merchant Center account to an AdWords account makes the products in the Merchant Center product feed available to the AdWords account to use in Shopping campaigns. Thus, you'll need to link your Merchant Center account to your AdWords account to get started with Shopping campaigns. To link an AdWords account and a Merchant Center account, you first request a link from the Merchant Center. You can do this either manually via the Merchant Center or automatically via the Content API for Shopping.
To request the link from the Merchant Center follow these steps:
- Go to the 3-dot icon dropdown in the upper right of the Merchant Center.
- Select Account linking, and then select the AdWords tab.
Click on Link Account, then enter the AdWords customer ID for the account you want to link. This will create a link request that will be sent to that AdWords account. See also step 1 of the AdWords-Merchant Center account linking guide.
- If you are planning to link the AdWords account to a Merchant Center sub-account that has not yet been created, you can specify the AdWords customer ID within the initial Account resource that you provide to Accounts.insert on sub-account creation.
- For existing Merchant Center accounts, you can use either the Accounts.patch or Accounts.update method to request the link by adding the AdWords customer ID to the list of linked accounts in the adwordsLinks field.
- If there are existing links between this Merchant Center account and other AdWords accounts, take care to append the AdWords customer ID for the new link to the existing AdWords customer IDs. The Content API for Shopping samples contain sample code that illustrates requesting AdWords account links for existing Merchant Center accounts.