Get started with targeting your ARCore Unity apps to Android.
This guide shows you how to set up your development environment and try out an ARCore sample app.
An ARCore supported device
A USB cable to connect your device to your development machine
Make sure to include Android Build Support during installation
The Universal Render Pipeline (formerly known as Ligthweight Render Pipeline or LWRP) is not supported by the ARCore SDK for Unity
When using Unity 2019, the following Unity packages are required:
- Multiplayer HLAPI
- XR Legacy Input Helper
Android SDK 7.0 (API Level 24) or later, installed using the SDK Manager in Android Studio
Get the ARCore SDK for Unity
- Download ARCore SDK for Unity 1.18.0 or later.
The SDK is downloaded as
Create a new project and import the SDK
Open Unity and create a new 3D project.
Unity 2019 only: Select Window > Package Manager and install the following packages:
- Multiplayer HLAPI (required by the CloudAnchors sample)
- XR Legacy Input Helpers (required by Instant Preview, which uses the
Import the ARCore SDK for Unity:
Select Assets > Import Package > Custom Package.
arcore-unity-sdk-1.18.0.unitypackagethat you downloaded.
In the Importing Package dialog, make sure that all package options are selected and click Import.
Open the sample scene
- In the Unity Project window, you can find the HelloAR sample in:
Configure project settings
- Go to File > Build Settings to open the Build Settings window.
- Under Platform, select Android and click Switch Platform.
- Click Player Settings.
- In the Android settings tab, configure the following settings:
Section Setting Configuration Other Settings Rendering Uncheck Auto Graphics API.
If Vulkan is listed under Graphics APIs, remove it.
Multithreaded Rendering Select this option to use multithreaded rendering.
- When building for Android, the Multithreaded Rendering option is supported in ARCore SDK for Unity 1.17.0 or later. However, when this option is enabled in Unity 2018.1 and earlier, using the front-facing (selfie) camera is not supported.
- 3D assets may not always render correctly when an app places a high load on the rendering thread.
Package Name Create a unique app ID using a Java package name format.
For example, use
Minimum API Level Select Android 7.0 'Nougat' (API Level 24) or higher.
For AR Optional apps, the Minimum API level is 14.
XR Settings ARCore Supported Enable this option.
Build and run the sample app
Enable developer options and USB debugging on your device.
Connect your device to your development machine.
In the Unity Build Settings window, click Build and Run.
Unity builds your project into an Android APK, installs it on your device, and launches it.
Move your device around until ARCore starts detecting and visualizing planes.
Tap a plane to put an Andy Android object on it.
- Step through the HelloAR code in the HelloAR Sample App Tour.
- Learn how to Enable ARCore in your app.
- Use Augmented Images to build apps that can respond to 2D images, such as posters or logos, in the user's environment.
- Use Cloud Anchors to create shared AR experiences across iOS and Android users.
- Review Runtime Considerations.
- Review Design Guidelines.