Google Developer Groups
“GDG is made up of a very diverse group of people, countries, companies, and expertise. I think it adds value for anyone who is involved in these communities.”
GDG Organizer, Guatemala
Stories from the community
Google Developer Groups’ Organizers
Who should join Google Developer Groups?
Anyone who is interested in learning about Google's technologies, connecting with other developers, and growing their skillset is encouraged to join Google Developer Groups.
Can I join multiple chapters?
Yes, developers are able to join multiple chapters. To join a chapter, visit the members site at https://gdg.community.dev/.
I don’t see a chapter near me, but I am still interested in joining GDG. What can I do?
If a nearby chapter doesn’t exist, you can apply to create new GDG chapter in your city. Submit an application today to lead one in your area. See what it takes to be an organizer at Google Developer Groups Organizers.
How can I sign up for a chapter event?
Search the GDG event platform (https://gdg.community.dev/) for an event that looks right for you.
Is there a cost to join or start a new GDG Chapter?
No, there is no cost to join a chapter or apply for a new GDG Chapter.
Who can become an organizer?
There are a few things we look for when selecting organizers. If you fit this description, we welcome your application.
- 18 years old and up.
- Genuine interest in Google's technologies.
- Technical background.
- Experience with event planning.
- Connection to your local developer community.
- Passion for giving back to the community.
How do I apply to become an organizer?
There are a few steps you need to take to apply to be an organizer.
- Read the Community Guidelines and the GDG organizer Terms & Conditions.
- Check the GDG Event Platform to see if there's an existing chapter in your location.
- If there's a GDG chapter in your location, contact the current organizer(s) from the GDG Event Platform or in person at an event to express interest in helping as a co-organizer.
- If there's not a GDG chapter in your location, apply to start one here.
- Allow time for your application to be reviewed. If your application has met the above requirements, we will reach out via email to set up a time to answer questions and discuss the program. If the application isn't a good fit, we'll still notify you by email.
What are the benefits of becoming a GDG organizer?
There are a number of benefits to leading a GDG chapter, but here are a few that stand out:
- Professional growth - Access to community management training and technical knowledge to help you be a stronger leader. Invitations to select Google events.
- Network growth - Access to a global network of developers, professional community organizers, industry experts, and Googlers to gain mentorship and share knowledge.
- Community Learning - Dedicated support to help educate and expand your community online and in-person.
What is the time commitment?
To be an organizer, you should be available to host a meetup event ideally once a month, and at least every 3 months to remain an active GDG chapter.