This page lists the major changes in each release of Google Apps Script in 2020. It's intended to help developers identify changes in behavior. For more recent changes, see the current year's release notes.
December 7, 2020
The Apps Script integrated development environment, or IDE, has been fully redesigned. Along with a completely new interface, the following features have been updated:
- The editor now has a collapsible left sidebar to navigate to the Apps Script project overview, settings, executions, and triggers.
- The editor’s resources panel now includes files, advanced services, and libraries.
- Autoformatting has been added to the editor.
- The editor now supports codeblock and function collapsing.
- Keyboard shortcuts and a Command Palette has been added to the editor. Press F1 to view the Command Palette and available keyboard shortcuts.
- The editor now includes a contextual right-click menu with options such as Go To Symbol, Rename Symbols, and Command Palette.
- Enhancements have been made to the debugger’s performance and speed.
- Logs now stream in real-time as you run a script.
- The deployments dialog auto-detects the deployment types from the script project’s manifest. You can change or add more types as needed.
- Deployments have been merged with versions. Each time you create a new
deployment, a new version is automatically created.
claspusers are unaffected by this change.
- A single deployment can be an add-on deployment , web app, library, or API executable. Any deployment can be used as a library.
- Now only one deployment can be active at a time. This change doesn’t affect
existing active deployments.
claspusers are unaffected by this change.
- You can no longer explicitly deactivate published web apps. Instead, delete the deployment that has the web app. To reactivate the web app, deploy it again.
- The debugger is no longer supported in the Rhino runtime. To use the debugger, migrate your script to the V8 runtime.
- Testing Editor Add-ons is not yet supported in this release and will be added in 2021. To test Editor Add-ons, switch back to the legacy IDE.
To switch back to the legacy IDE from within the editor, at the top, click Use legacy editor.
October 23, 2020
September 3, 2020
New classes and methods have been added to support Connected Sheets.
The following new classes have been added to the Spreadsheet service:
New methods to support Connected Sheets have been added to the following classes in the Spreadsheet service:
August 27, 2020
July 27, 2020
To help simplify Google Drive’s folder structure and sharing models, new methods have been added to the Drive service and some existing methods have been deprecated.
File class now has the following
file.getTargetId(): Gets a shortcut's file ID.
file.getTargetMimeType(): Returns the mime type of the item a shortcut points to.
file.moveTo(destination): Moves a file to a specified destination folder.
Folder class now has the following
folder.createShortcut(targetId): Creates a shortcut to the provided Drive item ID, and returns it.
folder.moveTo(destination): Moves an item to the provided destination folder.
June 12, 2020
New methods have been added to the Spreadsheet service.
RichTextValueclass now has a
RichTextValue.getLinkUrl()method that gets the URL of the specified value.
RichTextValueBuilderclass now has a
RichTextValueBuilder.setLinkUrl()method that sets the link URL for the specified value.
PivotTableclass now has a
PivotTable.getSourceDataRange()method that returns the source data range on which the pivot table is constructed.
PivotValueclass now has a
PivotValue.remove()method that removes the value from the pivot table.
April 22, 2020
A new simple trigger,
has been added for Google Sheets. The
onSelectionChange(e) trigger runs
automatically when a user changes the selection in a spreadsheet.
April 2, 2020
The following has been added to the Spreadsheet service
- A new Drawing class has been added to support drawings.
- You can now get your drawings with the
The following has been added to the Drive service
- There's a new
FILE_ORGANIZERvalue in the Permission enum. If you have
FILE_ORGANIZERpermission on a shared drive, you can edit, trash, and move content within that drive.
February 28, 2020
The following methods have been added to the
to support the use of theme colors. Many of these methods duplicate the
effect of existing color methods, but let you use
Color objects instead of strings
as parameters and return types:
Bandingclass now has 16 new methods that manipulate color in the banding columns and rows using
BooleanConditionclass now has two new methods that retrieve the color of the condition's background and font as
ConditionalFormatRuleBuilderclass now has seven new methods that set color-based format rules using
GradientConditionclass now has three new methods that retrieve condition colors as
Rangeclass now has eight new methods that get and set font and background colors using
Sheetclass now has two new methods that get and set tab colors using
Slicerclass now has two new methods that get and set the background color of the slicer using
TextStyleBuilderclass now has a
TextStyleBuilder.setForegroundColorObject(color)method that updates the foreground color of the style builder using a
TextStyleclass now has a
TextStyle.getForegroundColorObject()method that gets the foreground color of the style as a
February 5, 2020
January 21, 2020
To support the launch of G Suite Add-ons, the following manifest changes, service, classes, and methods have been added to Apps Script:
Manifest fields that previously supported Gmail add-ons still exist, but are now deprecated. See Upgrading your published add-ons for instructions on how to upgrade a Gmail add-on into a G Suite add-on.
The Card service has been extended with the following classes and methods that provide new widgets and event responses:
The Conference Data service has been added to Apps Script. The service helps G Suite Add-ons that extend Google Calendar to stay in sync with third-party conferencing applications. This service is only useful to developers who manage a conferencing application and want to make it available in Google Calendar.